Whole Child, Whole Day: Heart, Mind, & Body
A Social & Emotional Learning Symposium
Join YDEKC on a virtual learning journey for educators and youth development professionals to strengthen their individual and collective capacity to create equity based learning environments that support the whole child, with a focus on shifting adult practices and systems to better serve youth of color in the Road Map region. The symposium includes live plenaries, workshops, and community building sessions offered virtually across three Fridays, July 24, July 31, and August 7, 9 AM – 12:30 PM. All sessions will be recorded and available to registered participants through the month of August. Thank you to our sponsors, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Kaiser Permanente -- this event would not be possible without their generous support!
Educators and youth development professionals within organizations and systems working to eliminate opportunity gaps for children aged 5 to young adult in the Road Map region.
2020 Symposium Themes
- July 24 — Heart: What does it look like to ground ourselves with practices rooted in self-love? When we model self-awareness and critical self-reflection, engage in individual and collective healing, and reflect on our social identities, we strengthen our capacity to support young people and our colleagues in their own social and emotional health and skill development.
- July 31 — Mind: How do we create learning environments that center racial equity and a sense of belonging to value, engage, and develop the whole child? By centering relationships and honoring each young person’s strengths and stories through culturally responsive and trauma informed practices, we can create spaces that inspire young people to challenge themselves to learn and grow.
- August 7 — Body: What does it mean to engage in individual and collective action to build environments and shift systems that lead to equitable outcomes, particularly for our black and brown youth? When we commit to actionable strategies that propel our bodies into motion, we will cultivate a whole child, whole day ecosystem where all youth thrive.
Each ticket includes access to the plenary, virtual workshops, community sessions, and access to recordings for all 3 days of the event. In order to facilitate interactive and engaging sessions in a virtual environment, a limited number of tickets are available. YDEKC strives to produce events that are accessible to educators and youth development professionals. With the support of our sponsors, we have three ticket tiers available for this event.
Ticket Tiers (each ticket serves as a 3-day pass)
- General Admission Rate — This is our $80 General Admission ticket.
- Member Rate — We encourage our YDKEC member organizations to choose this discounted $50 ticket, and it is our first scholarship option for non-members if costs are prohibitive for you. Check out our list of Member organizations!
- Scholarship Rate — This $20 ticket is our second scholarship option if costs are prohibitive.
- Licensed School Age Care Providers — Up to 10 full scholarships will be offered through School's Out Washington to WA State Licensed School Age Care Providers. Contact Nerrisah Townsend, Statewide Training Manager, at ntownsend@schoolsoutwashington for your code.
Symposium Presenters & Volunteers — This ticket is available to our 2020 presenters and volunteers. Please contact YDEKC for your registration link. If you are interested in volunteering at this virtual event, please contact Anne Arias (email@example.com).
Optional - Scholarship for Others — If you are able to contribute to this event beyond the costs of General Admission to support others through our scholarship fund, please consider adding a scholarship donation to your ticket purchase below.
This event tends to fill quickly. There will be no refunds for any reason after July 17, 2020. If you are not able to attend, please email us and we will give you the opportunity to gift your seat to a colleague or open up a space for someone on the waitlist.
By registering for and/or attending the Symposium, you grant permission to YDEKC to use the written comments you share and the video/photography of you (which may include your displayed name). These may be used in publications, news releases, online, and in other communications related to the mission of YDEKC.